Happy Fiestas Patrias!
Today is Peru’s Independence Day; 192 years of independence to be precise! And with this national holiday already in full swing, I bet you are thinking ‘What can I do to join in the fun?’. Well there is plenty going on in Lima, the rest of Peru, and even across the pond, so if you feel like celebrating, here are a few ways to enjoy and celebrate a great nation!
- Sites and museums linked to the INC (National Institute of Culture) are offering free entry this weekend, so take advantage and immerse yourself in Peruvian culture. El Museo de Sitio de Pachacámac and El Museo de Sitio Huaca Pucllana are just two of the places offering this.
- The MALI (Lima Art Museum) is offering free entry between the 25th and 31st July. You can take part in creative workshops, have guided tours and watch theatre. They are also showing films for both children and adults, with today showing Lady and the Tramp, ET, and Casablanca, and tomorrow is Alice in Wonderland, and Thelma and Louise.
- From the 26th to 29th July check out the ‘Dulce Perú’ food festival in La Plaza de Armas, Surco, for traditional Peruvian desserts, pisco cocktails and savoury dishes, such as crispy pork (cooked in a Chinese box) and humitas.
- Watch President Ollanta Humala live, taking part in Mass in Lima Cathedral before he addresses the nation at 11am Peruvian time.
- Check out Google Peru for a special Google image!
- They are even celebrating in London with Ceviche restaurant hosting a Peruvian dinner and masterclass, so if you have tickets enjoy!!
- If you are of the legal age, enjoy a pisco cocktail! Choose between the classic Pisco Sour, Algarrobina or Chilcano! (My family, I expect you to be doing this!)
Feliz 28 de Julio Peru!